Thursday, July 16, 2009

what is 'emo' huh?

No. Emo is not related to Elmo, nor is it to the emu (bird).

Not directing this post at anyone in particular, I just need to give my views about the term 'emo'. My views.

I see it on the Friendster pages of my ex-students and it is also used freely in conversations when someone needs to describe another person. I looked into online dictionaries and my trusty Oxford Advanced Learners for a proper definition of the word but I could not find it. So I turned to Wiki for an answer. Even though a definition of it (found here) refers to a person who displays signs of being over-emotional and/or having suicidal tendencies, you do not use it on a person whom you notice is feeling down... I think the term is over-used and may I boldly say, used inappropriately.

And, please do not use it on me for posting this entry. I am certainly, most definitely, not emo-ish, emo, emo-ing.

Thank you for taking time to read this entry (=

No comments: