Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Building the house of the Lord

Lest any of you think I am going to quit studying at NIE or even to break my bond with MOE to build a church, allow me to let you in onto my 'somewhat' resolution for 2009 (or least from now onwards).

To build the house of the Lord!

You see... I am convicted after reading Haggai 1:1-7 (NIV) , in particular verses 2 to 6.

Hag 1:1 On the first day of the sixth month of the second year in the reign of King Darius of Persia, GOD's Message was delivered by the prophet Haggai to the governor of Judah, Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel, and to the high priest, Joshua son of Jehozadak:
Hag 1:2 A Message from GOD-of-the-Angel-Armies: "The people procrastinate. They say this isn't the right time to rebuild my Temple, the Temple of GOD."
Hag 1:3 Shortly after that, GOD said more and Haggai spoke it:
Hag 1:4 "How is it that it's the 'right time' for you to live in your fine new homes while the Home, GOD's Temple, is in ruins?"
Hag 1:5 And then a little later, GOD-of-the-Angel-Armies spoke out again: "Take a good, hard look at your life. Think it over.
Hag 1:6 You have spent a lot of money, but you haven't much to show for it. You keep filling your plates, but you never get filled up. You keep drinking and drinking and drinking, but you're always thirsty. You put on layer after layer of clothes, but you can't get warm. And the people who work for you, what are they getting out of it? Not much-- a leaky, rusted-out bucket, that's what.
Hag 1:7 That's why GOD-of-the-Angel-Armies said: "Take a good, hard look at your life. Think it over."


No matter how much I have, I am not satisfied (yes yes. i love shopping can. you mean you don't like shopping?) I don't know about you but there are times where I ask myself if I am truly happy with my spiritual walk or if I can humbly say that I read my Bible and I pray everyday or if I am living a Spirit-filled life. The answer is no. There are times when I ask myself if I'm a considered a backslider. This is one of the many reasons why I don't wish to serve in the youth ministry (yes, for my close friends who are reading this, now you know). Can you imagine when I teach others about living a spiritual life, I feel guilty? Not a very nice feeling yea. But I want to make my answer yes to the prior self-directed questions (in blue) I need to focus on God more than ever. Just knowing that God loves me is good. But all the more I want to love Him back. So let this passage (Haggai 1) serve as a reminder that earthly things will leave us dry, and only Jesus alone can satisfy (us).

No comments: